Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Books I'm Reading

I've been trying to get back in the written word more, and now that Angela and I have finished watching the final season of Veronica Mars, we are spending less times watching pictures that talk at us. Now I'm relying on my imagination to paint pictures.

I recently finished the 700+ page Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. I got stuck in the middle for a while, but then it finished just in time to set it up for the final book that may or may not ever come. So now I've picked up the books below and I have several on deck. Below are the ones I'm currently going back and forth between.

unChristian is a fantastic book so far. It takes research done over several years by the Barna Group and shows us where Christians are getting it wrong when dealing with people outside of the church and dealing between generations within the church. In addition, the authors use plenty of scripture to back it up. If you're wondering whether door-knocking and pamphlet-giving works, checkout this book.



Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter offers insight into the favorite president of many, including myself. In addition, it offers proof that the vampire craze isn't something new -- it's been around for at least 8 score and 5 years.






The Strategy-Focused Organization doesn't have "pictures", but it does offer plenty of graphs and charts, which are a lot like pictures. I'm reading this one to get a better understanding of the role strategy plays in organizations, especially cutting-edge ones like Central Dallas Ministries.





Good to Great is another book on understanding how to improve organizations. I like this one a lot.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious if the strategy book is worth reading. I'm now in the strategy group at my company.

    Un-Christian sounds strategic as well. Which Church of Christs are growing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica Mars is one of the best shows ever. Book recommendation: Daemon/Freedom by Daniel Suarez. Sci-fi with some interesting social experiments.

    ReplyDelete